Child Custody

In South Carolina, although an unmarried mother is the common law custodial parent of the child born out of wedlock, both parents have equal rights to their children born during the marriage until a court order grants one of them custody. When making a determination as to which parent will get custody, a family court judge will consider many factors. The overriding standard is that the best interests of the child be protected. A Guardian ad Litem will usually be appointed by the Family Court judge to represent the best interests of the child or children if the parents disagree regarding custody. A state statute sets out parameters regarding custody determinations.

Client Reviews
"During my 27 years of working in law enforcement I worked with a lot attorneys. The most professional, ethical and dependable by far was the Godfrey Law Firm. After working with them now both professionally and in my own private matter, I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone needing a good lawyer." Tony H.
"When I was little, my Granny and Daddy went to Mary Alice for a car wreck. I've always remembered the name "Mary Alice Godfrey" and I do know this is a really good law firm here in the upstate of South Carolina." Tamara L.